Very young Steinway & Sons, model O-180 wing from 2001. This wing is still practical as new by the young age. Of course, it sounds like a real Steinway betted.
Heinrich Engelhard Steinweg, the founder of Steinway & Sons, was born on 17/02/1797 in Wolfshagen im Harz, now Langelsheim, Low Saxony (Germany), and died on 07/02/1871 in New York (USA). Initially he settled in Seesen as a furniture and instrument maker. He had a terrible childhood behind him. At the time, the armies of Napoleon left behind in Germany a trail of destruction. The house of the Steinweg burned down and several brothers of Heinrich came to life. As a result of an accident, he later lost his father and other brothers which, as the sole survivor, was already pointed at the age of 15.
H.E. Steinweg built his first table piano around 1825, and in 1850 he emigrated with his family, except his eldest son, C.F. Theodor Steinweg (1825-1889), to America. C.F. Theodor Steinweg continued the company of his father. After a period of familiaration in America, Henry Steinway (H.E. Steinweg) founded in 1853, together with his sons Henry Jr. (Heinrich, 1831-1865) and Charles (Karl, 1829-1865) Steinway & Sons on. William (Wilhelm, 1835-1896) and Albert (1840-1877) later joined in.
By the American Civil War (1861 to 1865), the Steinway Hall (Center for Arts and Culture) was only opened in 1866. The piano sales then pulled up pretty much, partly because all concert-goers had to walk through the store before they entered the concert hall. Steinway Hall had to close in 1890, because the feature as a center for arts and culture was taken over by Carnegie Hall.
Many important technical ideas of Steinway have emerged from the intensive contact between C.F. Theodor Steinweg (Germany) and Henry (jr) Steinway (America). In 1857, the first patent was granted to Steinway & Sons, and since then there would be more than 125, including the cross-snarid system applied in wings (1859), the firmer cast iron window and the duplex scale (1872), with the sounding part of the string being supplemented by the (uniquely meekling) piece of the sinto between the bridge and the mounting pins. This makes for a richer overt ratio in the sound. Henry Jr., died in 1865. and Charles, after which C.F. Theodor Steinweg (technique) gave up his business in Germany to assist his father (H.E. Steinweg/Henry Steinway sr.), William (commercie) and Albert.
In 1880, Theodore and William, in Hamburg, started building a new Steinway plant in a rented property. Some years later, they went further in a factory-building which was soon expanded to include several branches. Theodore Theodore died in Braunschweig in 1889. Until the Stock Exchange of 1929, it went well with Steinway, but then the sale collapsed. In the second half of the thirties, Steinway was going to produce smaller instruments, after which the weather went slightly better.
In 1941, the plant in Hamburg, as an enemy object, was seized after which it had to make a contribution to the war industry. In 1943, the factory burned down completely as a result of a bombardment. After 1948, production in Hamburg came back to work, but in New York it continued to be difficult.
In 1972, it was sold (until then) to CBS Columbia, which sold it in 1985 to an investor group based in Boston, which then founded Steinway Musical Properties. This is sold to Conn-Selmer in 1995; he changes the name in '' Steinway Musical Instruments '. Since 1996, the company has been listed under the name of LVB (Ludwig van Beethoven) on the New York Stock Exchange. On 18 September 2013, LVB was taken over by hedge fund Paulson & Company, after which it was brought back from the stock exchange.